Bobby Lane: Learning a New Approach
Let me tell you a few things about my Major League Fishing experience.
First of all, it was awesome. And, that’s not the easiest thing for me to say because if you saw the event, I didn’t have such a great day.
But it was definitely awesome just to be in that field, to be considered one of the top anglers in our sport. Really, it was about the coolest thing in the world. And, I learned something that’s going to help me down the road.
When we fish most of our other events, where we’re trying to catch the five biggest fish we can find, we’re used to conserving fish. Major League Fishing is different.
I’m kind of a power fisherman and I go after six or seven good ones. That’s my style. But when you’re fishing Major League Fishing, you have to change things up. You have to make smart decisions all day.
I was out there doing my thing. I got caught in up in the topwater plug, and I just wouldn’t give it up. Then I looked around and I was getting my butt kicked. Because of the leader board in the boat, I knew it was happening. All around me, guys were trying everything to a pattern going.
I got to thinking, what are they doing? And why shouldn’t I do that, too? I decided I’ve got to change the way I’m approaching this. I figured I've got all these baits in the boat with me. It’s time to try something new. It opened up a window for me.
Well, it didn’t help me at the Major League Fishing event. But I have sort of approached things a little differently since then. I’m seeing that the more I mix things up, the more beneficial it is to me.
And I’ll have to say, since Major League Fishing, I haven’t missed catching a limit.
Bobby Lane NewsRSS
- Anglers Share Their Secrets
- Ehrler Punches Ticket to Challenge Cup Finals
- Episode Four: Former Champion, Home-
State Favorite Battle in Sudden Death
- Lane Dominates Istokpoga Day One
- Episode One: Anglers Tackle Lake
Istokpoga and a Gator in Primetime
- Home-Field Advantage or Curse
for Floridians Lane and Grigsby?
- MLF Anglers Struggle at Falcon Elite but
Dominate Angler-of-the-Year Standings
- MLF Anglers Dominate at Sabine River Elite
- Pace Wins Bassmaster Classic,
11 MLF Anglers Finish in Top 25
- Pace, Palaniuk, Iaconelli Lead
the Field After Classic Day 2
- Ike Tied for Classic Day 1 Lead
- Classic: Bone-Chilling Cold
- Will Largemouth Continue to Prevail?
- Davis Goes Wire to Wire on Day 3
- Another Primetime Battle to the Finish
- Chautauqua Conjectures
- Major League Fishing and Hurricane Hit Florida
- 2013 Classic Field Stacked with
Major League Fishing Anglers
- Evers Fourth at Bull Shoals Elite
- Innovative Format, New Strategies
- Quinn and 'Bama Rig Crush the Field
- Jones Fourth, Horton Sixth at Classic
- 'Bama Rig Dominates Webisode One
- OPTIMA Batteries Announces Sponsorship
- Mental Prep in Overdrive on Eve of Day 1
- Major League Fishing Competitor List Update