Aaron Martens: Feeling Better
It’s been a strange year for me so far … can’t really explain it. I couldn’t do a thing right during the first three (Elite Series) tournaments, and then all of a sudden I was in a position to win at Douglas Lake.
I felt good at the tournament at Douglas because I had some spots where I knew I was going to be able to find fish. It’s a lot more fun going into an event that way. It’s certainly less stressful when you know you’ve got places to go.
I did something a little bit different at Douglas. I pre-fished, and that was definitely the reason I did so well. I don’t usually pre-fish; most of the time I go in cold turkey and don’t even read up on the lakes. I might look at fishing reports to find out things like how tournaments there went and what kind of weight it took to win. But what I look at is really public stuff. I just don’t do a lot of the same research that other guys do.
That’s one of the reasons I like Major League Fishing so much. I like the idea of hitting water with no practice. In fact, I look forward to the future and hope we go to lakes that nobody has ever fished before.
Even though I say that, I have to admit that pre-fishing Douglas was the right thing to do. I went up for about a day and a half in November, when the water was real low. Then I went back for two and a half days in March. It turned out to be a huge advantage. It was an event I thought I was going to win.
Though I didn’t win, at least it helped me get back in the points race, and I definitely needed that.
Aaron Martens NewsRSS
- Aaron Martens wins B.A.S.S. Angler of Year title
- Alpena Summit Cup Filming Completed
- Episode Three Re-Air: Let the
Challenge Cup Trash Talking Begin
- Late Chapman Charge Wins
Istokpoga Elimination Day Three
- Martens Hopes to Ride Wave
of Confidence Into Istokpoga
- Episode 3: Let the Trash Talking Begin
- Pace Wins Bassmaster Classic,
11 MLF Anglers Finish in Top 25
- Pace, Palaniuk, Iaconelli Lead
the Field After Classic Day 2
- Ike Tied for Classic Day 1 Lead
- Classic: Bone-Chilling Cold
- Quinn First to Punch Ticket to Finals
- 'Sudden Death' Pressure Cooker
- Can West Dominate East on Summit Cup Day 2?
- The Race to 24 Pounds in Primetime
- Losing Composure During Episode 2
- Ish Holds Off Kriet on Day 2
- Chautauqua Conjectures
- 2013 Classic Field Stacked with
Major League Fishing Anglers
- Martens Third at Green Bay Elite
- Faircloth Wins Mississippi River Elite
- Martens Third at Douglas Lake Elite
- Quinn and 'Bama Rig Crush the Field
- Jones Fourth, Horton Sixth at Classic
- 'Bama Rig Dominates Webisode One
- Mental Prep in Overdrive on Eve of Day 1
- Elimination Round Day 1: Angler Notes