Angler Q & A
Technique strength: My strength is what I call power fishing, which is using fast-moving baits -spinnerbaits, cranks, jigs, etc. - to cover a lot of water and elicit a reaction strike. But my second love is finesse fishing, using light line and small baits to catch bass when the fishing is super tough.
Technique weakness: Deep water
Favorite lake or river: Lake Champlain
Least favorite lake or river: Wherever a lake’s been drained
Favorite bait: Favorite is probably a jig, close second is a shaky-head worm
Started bass fishing at the age of: 11
Started fishing bass tournaments at the age of: Right out of high school
Year turned pro: 1999
Do you get nervous before tournaments: I wouldn’t call it nervous, but I still get butterflies. Ask anybody that competes, you’ll probably hear that they get excited, anxious, and they’re visualizing the first six-pounder.
Your biggest bass fishing influence (person): Within the fishing realm, it’s probably Rick Clunn. I admired things he was doing in the sport, the recognition of seasonal patterns.
If you were not a professional bass angler, what would you be doing: Through high school, I was a disc jockey. I enjoyed that. It’s a way to entertain people.
Largest bass caught to date: 14-pound, 1-ounce largemouth at Lake Amistad
Most memorable bass fishing moment: I have two. The first is catching my first bass ever on an artificial lure. I was 11 years old, and I caught about a 2-pounder on a Rapala 9S Floating Minnow. That one explosive topwater strike got me hooked on bass fishing for life! The second is catching the winning bass in the last few minutes of the 2003 Bassmaster Classic. That one fish changed my life and forever etched my life motto of "never give up!"
Michael Iaconelli Qualities and Quirks
Michael Iaconelli: 2013 Summit Cup Day 1 Sudden Death Preview Interview
Michael Iaconelli: 2013 Summit Cup Day 1 Elimination Round Wrap-Up Interview
Mike Iaconelli Explains Boat Officials
Michael Iaconelli: Tips on Wearing 'Shades'
- Mike Iaconelli Summit Cup Day 1 - Photo 2
- Mike Iaconelli Summit Cup Day 1 - Photo 3
- Mike Iaconelli Summit Cup Day 1 - Photo 1
- Michael Iaconelli: 2013 Summit Cup Elimination Day 1, Photo 5
- Michael Iaconelli: 2013 Summit Cup Elimination Day 1, Photo 6
- Michael Iaconelli: 2013 Summit Cup Elimination Day 1, Photo 7
- Michael Iaconelli: 2013 Summit Cup Elimination Day 1, Photo 8
Michael Iaconelli NewsRSS
- Ehrler Puts on Day Two Topwater Clinic
- Ike Plans No Retreat on Elimination Day Two
- Alpena Summit Cup Filming Completed
- Ike: It's All on Me
- Jones Top Qualifier on Istokpoga Day Two
- Ike Tied for Classic Day 1 Lead
- Classic: Bone-Chilling Cold
- Quinn First to Punch Ticket to Finals
- The Race to 24 Pounds in Primetime
- 'Sudden Death' Pressure Cooker
- Summit Cup Day 1: The Unknown
- Going Ike for Dog Days Bass
- Webisode Seven: Climb Inside the Minds
- VanDam, Ehrler Championship Bound
- 'Crushing' Performance in Webisode Four
- Sudden Death: The Race to 40 Pounds
- Jones Fourth, Horton Sixth at Classic
- Ike Mounts Period 3 Comeback
- 'Going Ike' in Webisode Two
- Day 2 Forecast: All Kinds of Adversity
- Michael Iaconelli: The Most Exciting, Energizing Fishing