Angler Q & A
Technique strength: Deep structure fishing
Technique weakness: Flippin’
Favorite lake or river: Falcon Lake right now. It’s a fish factory that is so vast and intriguing because it’s so big and always changing.
Least favorite lake or river: Arkansas River at home, not my favorite and has a lot of fishing pressure that makes fishing really difficult all the time.
Favorite bait: Strike King Series 5XD Crankbait. It is a very good versatile lure, as deep as 15 feet, shallow as five feet, depending on the line size.
Favorite fishing knot: Palomar on everything except on light fluorocarbon, then I use a Eugene Sling knot.
Started bass fishing at the age of: Early as I can remember.
Started fishing bass tournaments at the age of: I started fishing tournaments at around 13 years old
Year turned pro: 1986 which was my first B.A.S.S. event
Do you get nervous before tournaments: Not very often, but sometimes if I’ve got a chance to win.
Largest bass caught to date: 12-pound, 3-ounce largemouth on Ouachita
Your most memorable bass fishing moment: Probably my Classic win. The second day of that event I had 4.5-pounder and a 2-pounder on at the same time on a crankbait. I tried to wing them both in the boat. They both came off and the 2-pounder hit the side of the boat and fell back in the water. The 4-pounder fell in the boat. It was the fish that won the event.
Your biggest bass fishing influence (person): My Dad, more than anyone, he got me fishing and kept me fishing as a kid.
If you were not a professional bass angler, what would you be doing: I would probably be in the construction business.
What question do most people ask you the most: How do I find fish. Most people think I can summarize it for them, but it’s too hard to answer in a short time period.
What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you while fishing: Not being able to find a private place to “hang it over the side of the boat.” Not going to elaborate on it, but it wasn’t a pretty sight. That happened in the state of Maryland, I didn’t stay long afterwards, I just cranked up the engine a left.
As a boy, what did you want to be when you grew up: I wanted to be a bass fisherman. Bobby Murray was from Hot Springs, where I grew up, so I was aware of the profession early on and I really wanted to do that.
What is the biggest obstacle you face as a professional angler: For me anymore, staying motivated at my age. Still a sport, still competition, and I need to work at it all the time.
How have state conservation programs and bass angler fish care affected bass fishing across the nation: Fish care and catch-and-release have all been positive. My biggest concern was that if our fisheries would be able to handle pressure without new lakes or waterways, but those programs have helped keep things going well. State level programs have been really effective, lakes are healthy and anglers have helped keep the resource alive.
Mark Davis Qualities and Quirks
Mark Davis: 2013 Summit Cup Day 3 Elimination Round Preview Interview
Mark Davis: How to Deal with Spinning Reel Line Issues
Major League Fishing Stats
- Last Tournament
- Fish Caught: 14
- Total Weight: 30lbs 0oz
- Rank: 16
- View Complete Tournament Stats
- Season Total
- Total Weight: 30lbs 0oz
- Rank: 16
Mark Davis NewsRSS
- MLF Anglers Dominate B.A.S.S. AOY Race
- Davis: From Irritated to a 42-Point Lead
- Eight MLF Pros Place in Top-12 at Seminole Elite
- KVD Delivers Crushing Day Three Performance
- Quinn Ready for Smallmouth and to Top KVD
- Alpena Summit Cup Filming Completed
- MLF Anglers Dominate at Sabine River Elite
- Pace Wins Bassmaster Classic,
11 MLF Anglers Finish in Top 25
- Pace, Palaniuk, Iaconelli Lead
the Field After Classic Day 2
- Ike Tied for Classic Day 1 Lead
- Classic: Bone-Chilling Cold
- Major League Lessons: Dock Fishing 101
- Grigsby First to Punch Finals
Ticket on Sudden Death Day 2
- Adverse Wind to Test Angler Skill and
Composure During Sudden Death Day 2
- Davis Goes Wire to Wire on Day 3
- Another Primetime Battle to the Finish
- Will Largemouth Continue to Prevail?
- Chautauqua Conjectures
- The 'King' to Support the Majors
- 2013 Classic Field Stacked with
Major League Fishing Anglers
- Hackney Fourth at Toledo Bend Elite
- Fishing the Deep: Finding Off-Shore Fish
- Martens Third at Douglas Lake Elite
- Quinn and 'Bama Rig Crush the Field
- Mental Prep in Overdrive on Eve of Day 1
- 'Bama Rig Dominates Webisode One