Angler Q & A
Technique strength: I think my strength is power fishing. I love to fish fast and cover water.
Technique weakness: My weakness is having to fish slow – finesse fishing. I don’t like watching the clock tick away.
Favorite lake or river: I like Lake St. Clair. Generally, I love fishing for smallmouth, so I appreciate fishing anywhere in the Great Lakes region.
Least favorite lake or river: Honestly, I like the challenge of fishing everywhere, even if it’s tough.
Favorite bait: I’m a power fisherman, so I like to fish with any lure I can cover water with.
Started bass fishing at the age of: I started fishing at age 3, and I caught my first smallmouth at age 7. I’ve never been the same since.
Started fishing bass tournaments at the age of: I started fishing tournaments at age 14 and turned pro full-time when I was 22.
Year turned pro: Turned pro fulltime when I was 22
Do you get nervous before tournaments: I can’t honestly say that I get nervous, but I get excited before tournaments, especially big events.
Your biggest bass fishing influence (person): When I was a kid, I looked up to a lot of the bass pros I watched on television. One of the very first was Virgil Ward. That’s where I first learned about fishing with spinnerbaits. I have always admired the legends.
If you were not a professional bass angler, what would you be doing: My brother has a marine dealership and tackle shop. I worked there before I turned pro. I always loved being around other fishermen, and it’s possible that, if I weren’t doing what I’m doing, I’d be working in another capacity within this industry.
Largest bass caught to date: In an event, the biggest is an 11-pound, 13-ounce largemouth I caught in a tournament at Lake Lewisville, Texas.
Most memorable bass fishing moment: I’ve been fortunate to have a lot of high points in my career. Winning my first Bassmaster Classic, in New Orleans in 2003, is a moment that I was able to share with my family, and I’ll never forget that feeling.
Kevin VanDam: Choosing the Right Crankin' Rod
Kevin VanDam: Power Fishing with a Spinnerbait
2013 ICAST: Tips from the Pros - Part 1
2013 ICAST: Pro Angler Favorites - Part 1
Klein, VanDam Remove Hooks from Cameraman's Arm
Quantum Performance Tuned Technique: KVD on Crankbaits
Latest Blog Post
This is competition at a primal level. This won’t be just sparks, you’re going to see lightning bolts. Read More
Major League Fishing Stats
- Last Tournament
- Fish Caught: 70
- Total Weight: 125lbs 12oz
- Rank: 2
- View Complete Tournament Stats
- Season Total
- Total Weight: 125lbs 12oz
- Rank: 2
Kevin VanDam NewsRSS
- KVD Offers Fishing Tips for the Summer
- KJ Captures Challenge Cup Title at Ray Bob
- Ehrler vs. KVD: The Race for Bassin' Supremacy
- Klein Focused on First MLF Finale
- Rojas Ready to Grind It Out in Finals
- Reese Looking for the Big Bite to Win at Ray Rob
- Jordon Hopes to Ride Big Bite Momentum
- Anglers All Smiles as MLF Effect
Becomes Apparent at TTBC
- KJ Comes Up Big on Sudden Death Day Two
- KJ's Secret Weapon for Sudden Death
- Velvick Preps for First Sudden Death Appearance
- Big Bite the Difference Maker for KJ
- KVD Concedes Ray Roberts Won't Be Like Alpena
- Challenge Cup Battle Wounds
- What Makes KVD So Good?
- KVD Dominates Alpena Summit Cup Final
- Martens Hopes for a ‘Grand' Finish to an Epic Year
- KVD Looks to Complete Resume at Summit Cup
- KVD Delivers Crushing Day Three Performance
- Quinn Ready for Smallmouth and to Top KVD
- Aaron Martens wins B.A.S.S. Angler of Year title
- Alpena Summit Cup Filming Completed
- Episode Six Re-Air: Crazy Momentum
Change in Challenge Cup Final
- Episode Five Re-Air: Sudden
Death with a Hurricane Twist
- Episode Three Re-Air: Let the
Challenge Cup Trash Talking Begin
- Late Evers Charge Yields
2013 Challenge Cup Win
- Jones Dominates Sudden Death Day Two
- Crazy Momentum Change in Episode Six
- Sudden Death with a Hurricane
Twist in Episode Five
- VanDam Draws on 2001 Classic Triumph
in Attempt to Tame Tropical Trouble
- Late Chapman Charge Wins
Istokpoga Elimination Day Three
- Episode 3: Let the Trash Talking Begin
- MLF Anglers Struggle at Falcon Elite but
Dominate Angler-of-the-Year Standings
- R&D with KVD
- Pace Wins Bassmaster Classic,
11 MLF Anglers Finish in Top 25
- Pace, Palaniuk, Iaconelli Lead
the Field After Classic Day 2
- Ike Tied for Classic Day 1 Lead
- Classic: Bone-Chilling Cold
- Man in the Moon Could Be the X-Factor
- The 'King' to Support the Majors
- 2013 Classic Field Stacked with
Major League Fishing Anglers
- The Power of Dad
- Major League Decisions: Winning
Bass Angling's Mental Game
- The Wind Is Your Friend!
- Evers Fourth at Bull Shoals Elite
- Looking for Quick Pattern Recognition
- Innovative Format, New Strategies
- Ehrler Stunning in Finals
- Ehrler's Self-Induced Pressure
Fueled Challenge Cup Victory
- Webisode Seven: Climb Inside the Minds
- Challenge Cup Final Four
- VanDam, Ehrler Championship Bound
- Sudden Death: The Race to 40 Pounds
- Quinn and 'Bama Rig Crush the Field
- 'Crushing' Performance in Webisode Four
- Jones Fourth, Horton Sixth at Classic
- Busch Beer Announces Sponsorship
- 'Bama Rig Dominates Webisode One
- Mental Prep in Overdrive on Eve of Day 1
- Elimination Round Day 1: Angler Notes
- Quantum to Support Major League Fishing
- Amistad Challenge Cup: KVD Sounds Off
- Bass Pro Shops to Sponsor Major League Fishing