Angler Q & A
Technique strength: My strength isn’t specific to a technique. I’ve tried to make versatility a strength.
Technique weakness: Probably fishing cold muddy water, real early spring bite.
Favorite fishing knot: Single clinch knot
Favorite lake or river: Two. I love to fish for smallmouth, so I like Lake Champlain. The other is Falcon Lake.
Least favorite lake or river: Okeechobee. I have been horribly unsuccessful in Florida.
Favorite bait: It changes. I like to find whatever they’re hitting, and that means I enjoy dialing in on new baits.
Started bass fishing at the age of: 5 or 6, my brother and I would walk to a small lake
Started fishing bass tournaments at the age of: 17 in 1977
Year turned pro: I turned pro full time in 2006, but I’ve been fishing professional events for 20 years.
Do you get nervous before tournaments: On the good tournaments that I’ve done my job, I do. If I don’t, it’s because I haven’t done the research. I look forward to being nervous .
Your biggest bass fishing influence (person): Two anglers come to mind. Early on it was Rick Clunn, because I felt like Rick had tapped into something when he showed people you could let your mind override your bait. Another was and is Kevin VanDam. He has more confidence than anyone in the business.
If you were not a professional bass angler, what would you be doing: I would be involved in one of the businesses I’m involved in now: either the tank trailer business or the rod building business.
Largest bass caught to date: 11-pound, 7-ounce largemouth at Okeechobee
Most memorable bass fishing moment: I’m tempted to say it was winning the Classic. But probably my most memorable bass fishing moment came when I won a tournament in my mid 20s Percy Priest Lake in Nashville. That’s when bass fishing became the ultimate fix.
Duckett Fishing Debuts Sunglasses
Boyd Duckett: Application Specific White Ice Rods
Boyd Duckett: Lithium Batteries for Boats?
Boyd Duckett: The Need for All-Purpose Rods
Latest Blog Post
ICAST was different this year. Last year I was able to stroll around the exhibition hall. I got to see what was new with baits and what the trends were going to be taking shape for the coming year. This year, I spent most of my time locked away in meetings. Read More
Major League Fishing Stats
- Last Tournament
- Fish Caught: 12
- Total Weight: 16lbs 12oz
- Rank: 16
- View Complete Tournament Stats
- Season Total
- Total Weight: 16lbs 12oz
- Rank: 16
Boyd Duckett NewsRSS
- Big Bite the Difference Maker for KJ
- KVD Delivers Crushing Day Three Performance
- Quinn Ready for Smallmouth and to Top KVD
- Rojas Joins Duckett Fishing Pro Staff
- Alpena Summit Cup Filming Completed
- Episode Five Re-Air: Sudden
Death with a Hurricane Twist
- Jones Dominates Sudden Death Day Two
- Sudden Death with a Hurricane
Twist in Episode Five
- Duckett Fishing Moving to Guntersville
- Lane Dominates Istokpoga Day One
- Big O Experience: Help or Hurt on Istokpoga?
- Challenge Cup: A Gale of a Good Time in Florida
- Episode One: Anglers Tackle Lake
Istokpoga and a Gator in Primetime
- Istokpoga Game Plan? Not Until
the Trolling Motor Hits the Water
- Classic Saturday Scorecard:
Explaining what 35 out of 50 means
- Pace Wins Bassmaster Classic,
11 MLF Anglers Finish in Top 25
- Pace, Palaniuk, Iaconelli Lead
the Field After Classic Day 2
- Ike Tied for Classic Day 1 Lead
- Classic: Bone-Chilling Cold
- Will Largemouth Continue to Prevail?
- Davis Goes Wire to Wire on Day 3
- Another Primetime Battle to the Finish
- Looking for Big Mo at Chautauqua
- EXTENDED CAST Introduced for Summit Cup
- Chautauqua Conjectures
- Comeback Tour Hits First Snag
- What I Learned
- Every Moment Counts
- 52 and a Father Again
- Things I learned at ICAST
- May be Out of the Classic
- New Chapter Begins
- Not Great, but Comeback Tour Still Ok
- Comeback Tour Could be Back on Track
- Reality Check
- Attacking a True Fishing Demon
- Time to Clean Out the Clutter
- Doing Something About a Problem
- I Found a Problem
- Time for a Change
- 2013 Classic Field Stacked with
Major League Fishing Anglers
- Duckett Punches Classic Ticket
- The Doug Pike Show Boyd Duckett Interview
- Duckett Sells Southern Tank Leasing
- New Duckett Chapter Begins
- Klein, Duckett: The Confrontation
- Duckett: The Businessman Angler
- Klein: The Respected Veteran Angler
- Major League Masterminds
- Day 3 Anglers Brace for the Unknown
- McClelland Goes Wire to Wire
- Injured Angler, High Winds in Webisode Three