DAY BY DAY: MLF Bass Pro Tour Events vs. MLF Cup Events
By Rachel Dubrovin
December 18, 2019
2019 will be the first year that you can watch new episodes of Major League Fishing (Saturdays, 2-4 p.m. ET on Outdoor Channel) in addition to watching the MLF Bass Pro Tour on the MLF NOW! Live Stream on MajorLeagueFishing.com.
Both the Bass Pro Tour events and Cup events will feature the catch-weigh-release format that you’ve grown to love. However, the two events will look different on a day-by-day basis. Take a look at how they compare:
- MLF Bass Pro Tour events on the MLF NOW! Live Stream
- The 80 anglers will be separated into two groups, 40 anglers in each
- Day 1-2 = Shotgun Round 1-2
- 40 anglers (divided into Group A and Group B) compete to catch the highest weight each day
- All anglers move on to Elimination Rounds
- Anglers’ Shotgun Round weight carries over to the Elimination Round
- Day 3-4 = Elimination Round 1
- 40 anglers (Group A and Group B) compete to catch the highest weight
- Anglers’ Shotgun Round weight is combined with the weight they catch in the Elimination Round
- Top 20 anglers from each group advance to Knockout Round
- Day 5 = Knockout Round
- 40 anglers (top 20 from each Elimination Round) compete
- All anglers will begin the Knockout Round with zero weight
- Top 10 anglers advance to the Championship Round
- Day 6 = Championship Round
- 10 anglers compete to catch the highest weight
- After two tour events, the top 30 anglers based on points will move on to compete in the first MLF Cup event. This will repeat every two Bass Pro Tour events, feeding different groups of 30 into all four MLF Cup events
- At the conclusion of the MLF Bass Pro Tour eight-event season, the top 30 anglers in year-long total points earn a spot in the Bass Pro Tour Redcrest.
- MLF Cup events are shot “in the dark”, meaning the results are confidential until the shows air on Outdoor Channel
- The format for MLF Cup events will be familiar to fans of the show
- Days 1-3 = Elimination Round 1-3
- 10 different anglers will compete each day to catch the highest weight
- The top six anglers with the highest weight daily move on to Sudden Death
- Day 4-5 = Sudden Death Round 1-2
- Anglers race to a predetermined target weight
- The first four anglers to hit the target weight daily move on to the Championship Round
- Day 6 = Championship Round
- Eight anglers compete to catch the highest weight
- At the end of the day, the angler with the most weight wins the Cup
- The top three anglers in each MLF Cup event earn a spot in the General Tire World Championship
The 2019 season of MLF will premiere on January 5, 2-4 p.m. ET on Outdoor Channel.
The inaugural Bass Pro Tour event will premiere on the MLF NOW! Live Stream January 29 on MajorLeagueFishing.com.
Click here for more important dates in 2019.