MLF Bass Pro Tour & MLF Cups: How's it all going to work?
By Rachel Dubrovin
October 29, 2018
The 2019 season will be nothing short of historic for Major League Fishing and the 80 anglers who have decided to compete in the brand-new MLF Bass Pro Tour.
As the season kicks off, MLF will be airing Bass Pro Tour events live on MajorLeagueFishing.com and at the same time, you’ll see new episodes of MLF Cup events on Outdoor Channel (Saturdays from 2-4pm ET)… And while that’s all happening, we’ll be shooting new MLF Cup shows for the 2020 season. So how will the MLF Bass Pro Tour and the MLF Cups co-exist?
Let’s take a look:
- 8 MLF Bass Pro Tour events feed into 4 MLF Cup events and 2 Championships
- All 80 anglers compete in each MLF Bass Pro Tour event
- Every fish counts: MLF Pros will earn points at each MLF Bass Pro Tour event based on the scoreable bass they catch
- After two tour events, the top 30 anglers based on points will move on to compete in the first MLF Cup event. This will repeat every two tour events, feeding different groups of 30 into all four MLF Cup events
- At the conclusion of the MLF Bass Pro Tour 8-event season, the top 30 anglers in year-long total points earn a spot in the MLF Redcrest.
- FORMAT: The format for MLF Bass Pro Tour events will be similar to the General Tire World Championship events that you saw on CBS in 2017 and 2018.
- The 80 anglers will be separated into two groups, 40 anglers in each
- Day 1-2 = Shotgun Round 1-2
- 40 anglers (divided into Group A and Group B) compete to catch the highest weight each day
- All anglers move on to Elimination Rounds
- Anglers’ Shotgun Round weight carries over to the Elimination Round
- Day 3-4 = Elimination Round 1
- 40 anglers (Group A and Group B) compete to catch the highest weight
- Anglers’ Shotgun Round weight is combined with the weight they catch in the Elimination Round
- Top 20 anglers from each group advance to Sudden Death Round
- Day 5 = Knockout Round
- 40 anglers (top 20 from each Elimination Round) compete
- All anglers will begin the Knockout round with zero weight
- Top 10 anglers advance to the Championship Round
- Day 6 = Championship Round
- 10 anglers compete to catch the highest weight
- A camera in every boat will livestream the action on MajorLeagueFishing.com
Four MLF Cup events and the General Tire World Championship will be shot in the dark (meaning the results are confidential until the show airs) and you will see them on TV in 2020
- 30 anglers will compete in each MLF Cup event, based on the points they accumulate during MLF Bass Pro Tour events
- You will recognize some of the names of the events, others are new:
- Heritage Cup
- Summit Cup
- Patriot Cup
- Challenge Cup
- Each MLF Cup event will result in six 2-hour television shows that will air on Outdoor Channel
- Starting on January 5, 2019, you will see the final season of MLF Select Events (watch it on Outdoor Channel, Saturdays from 2-4pm ET)
- FORMAT: The format for MLF Cup events will be familiar to fans
- Days 1-3 = Elimination Round 1-3
- 10 different anglers will compete each day to catch the highest weight
- The top 6 anglers with the highest weight daily move on to Sudden Death
- Day 4-5 = Sudden Death Round 1-2
- Anglers race to a predetermined target weight
- The first 4 anglers to hit the target weight daily move on to the Championship Round
- Day 6 = Championship Round
- 8 anglers compete to catch the highest weight
- At the end of the day, the angler with the most weight wins the Cup
- The top 3 anglers in each MLF Cup event earn a spot in the General Tire World Championship
- GENERAL TIRE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: After the 4 MLF Cup events have been completed, the qualifiers for the General Tire World Championship will be determined.
- The General Tire World Championship will also be shot in the dark, and it will result in six 1-hour episodes on CBS Network and six 2-hour television episodes that will air on the Discovery Channel.
- 16 anglers compete
- 12 qualify in MLF Cup events (top 3 from each of the 4 MLF Cup events)
- Top 2 anglers based on MLF Cup points
- 1 Redcrest Champion
- 1 reigning General Tire World Championship
MLF is an angler-driven league and the event rules and formats are subject to change at any time as determined by the Pro Bass Tour Anglers Association (PBTAA).